Moving out on your own is an exciting time!
There are so many things to think about and prepare for! Here at Ayre & Oxford Inc., we've put together a list of must have items to help you prepare for your big move.
Remember, you don't have to buy everything right away. Get the essential items you know you won't be able to live without, and wait to buy the rest. Sometimes it takes living in an apartment to find out what you really can't live without.
Below is a list of items you will need for your first apartment:
- Food (pantry and refrigerator staples)
- Simple small appliances (toaster, coffee maker, microwave, kettle)
- Cooking & baking essentials (measuring cups and spoons, peeler, grater, strainer, cutting board, mixing bowls, utensils, sharp knives, pots and pans)
- Food storage (simple containers, plastic wrap, aluminum foil, wax paper, parchment paper, zip close bags)
- Paper towel holder and paper towels
- Cutlery tray, bottle opener, corkscrew
- Dish washing essentials (soap, scrubbers, sponges, dish rack, washcloths, and towels)
- Dishes, cutlery, and glassware
- Table and chairs
- Garbage pail, organic bin, and bags for both
- Toilet paper
- Towels and wash cloths
- Shower curtain, bath mat
- Cleaners and tools (toilet brush, plunger)
- Toothbrush holder
- Soap dispenser
- Garbage pail
- Bed, sheets, pillows
- Living room basics (couch, chair, TV)
- Laundry baskets
- First aid kit
- Cleaning supplies and laundry soap
- Cleaning tools (vacuum, broom, bucket)
- Alarm clock
- Fire extinguisher
You can wait to purchase the following until after you move in:
- Area rugs
- Art and photo frames
- Desk and chair
- End tables or coffee table
- Throw blankets, pillows, and other decorations
- Step stool
Remember to make your own choices when furnishing your apartment. Purchase the 'must-have' items, then add other pieces as you settle in.
If you haven't found your perfect apartment yet, check out our blog Apartment Hunting 101 for some great tips!